Meriden ARC Web Site | Castle Craig Chapter 10-10

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Worked All Europe CW Contest

The Worked All Europe CW Contest is scheduled for the weekend of August 9th and 10th 2014.

Full rules are here:

http://www.darc.de/referate/dx/contest/waedc/en/rules/

Worked all Europe is sponsored by the DARC the Deutscher Amateur-Radio-Club out of Germany.

These contests present an interesting challenge as one of the option available to both stations is to pass "QTC" (traffic), between stations which consists of log information of up to the last 10 stations you worked not including the station you are working. If you can pass all the stations you work as QTC you can effectively double your score. It is a fun contest to work, actually probably my favorite DX contest but can be a little overwhelming for the new comer if you are asked if you have QTC. You can say no or NIL on CW and the station will just say TU and move on.

If you are using one of the major contest programs it will take care of the QTC for you and send it which makes the job easy. In CW you send line by line and when you get the R just send the next line. At the end he QSLs the set you save it and watch your score grow.

The Phone and RTTY contests will be upcoming. Many European stations use this contest as a tune up for the CQ WW contests and being Europe it is a easy shot for us on the East Coast and there are usually many multipliers to work.

Hope to hear you in there!

-73-

Al - N1API
Explain "Major Contest Programs" please.

(08-02-2014, 11:17 AM)N1API Wrote:

The Worked All Europe CW Contest is scheduled for the weekend of August 9th and 10th 2014.

Full rules are here:

http://www.darc.de/referate/dx/contest/waedc/en/rules/

Worked all Europe is sponsored by the DARC the Deutscher Amateur-Radio-Club out of Germany.

These contests present an interesting challenge as one of the option available to both stations is to pass "QTC" (traffic), between stations which consists of log information of up to the last 10 stations you worked not including the station you are working. If you can pass all the stations you work as QTC you can effectively double your score. It is a fun contest to work, actually probably my favorite DX contest but can be a little overwhelming for the new comer if you are asked if you have QTC. You can say no or NIL on CW and the station will just say TU and move on.

If you are using one of the major contest programs it will take care of the QTC for you and send it which makes the job easy. In CW you send line by line and when you get the R just send the next line. At the end he QSLs the set you save it and watch your score grow.

The Phone and RTTY contests will be upcoming. Many European stations use this contest as a tune up for the CQ WW contests and being Europe it is a easy shot for us on the East Coast and there are usually many multipliers to work.

Hope to hear you in there!

-73-
K1RCT - Rob
W1NRG Station Activities Manager
Home Email

KC1ACN Wrote:Explain "Major Contest Programs" please.

These are programs such as N1MM, N3FJP and others that support DX and other contests and are written especially for that purpose. There are others I'm not familiar with all the names. These compared to logging programs that you could use to log the contest or some of them but may not support all the functions of the contest like QTC, sections or countries.

Usually the contest programs have things like a master callsign database that is updated through the web. Also the countries information itself changes. Not so much the actual country but for some of them who is there and operating a contest station. A couple of examples for the US may be Hawaii and Alaska. As people change QTHes and move to the lower 48 if the have been contesting from Alaska the Master Call Sign Database is changed so that if you work them you don't log them as a DX station and possible multiplier but log them for their present QTH. The same for Hawaii. This database is maintained by contesters submitting their logs from the contest to the Supercheck Partial address at: logs@supercheckpartial.com . The countries and sections database is maintained at: http://www.country-files.com/ and is updated usually just before a contest weekend.

Probably more info than you were looking for but you can see that there's quite a lot involved than just "log and go"

-73- Al

Please post your Worked All Europe CW Contest Scores and stories by replying to this post.

N1API Worked All Europe Score

START-OF-LOG: 2.0
ARRL-SECTION: CT
CALLSIGN: N1API
CLUB: Meriden ARC
CONTEST: DARC-WAEDC-CW
CATEGORY: SINGLE-OP-ASSISTED ALL LOW CW
CLAIMED-SCORE: 80080
OPERATORS: N1API
NAME: Al
ADDRESS:
ADDRESS: CT
ADDRESS: United States
CREATED-BY: N1MM Logger V14.6.0

Breakdown By Band:

Band ----- Q/QTC ----- QSOs ----- Multi
14 -------- QSO -------- 196 --------- 72
14 -------- SQTC ------- 175 ---------- 0
21 -------- QSO -------- 112 --------- 58
21 -------- SQTC ------- 133 ---------- 0
TOTAL ---- All ---------- 616 ------- 130
Score 80,080

Not a barn burner but still an enjoyable weekend. My off times were more looking for new stations rather than not being on the air. All of this was Hunt and Peck, Search and Pounce. I started out on 20 meters Friday and stayed up until about 3:30 AM and tried to work out the band. I think that I remember I had 54 multipliers when I quit. Rather than try to get up sometime in the middle of the night or early morning I wanted to see how the "overnight" band was. It was seeming to fade when I stopped. Looks like a good choice as when I started up about 9 AM Europe was mostly gone from 20 meters and 15 was open. Nothing special to report as far as surprises, hey it's Europe. The rare countries were again missing and 10 meters never opened. I did quit about 20 minutes early as new stations were hard to come by. I had 10 QTCs left to pass so I found a station that I had worked already but did not pass any QTC with so I broke him and sent him the 10 QTCs. I closed the log with all contacts given back as QTC which effectively doubles my score, one of the great things about this contest.

Hope you all had as much fun as I did!

Al - N1API