Meriden ARC Web Site | Castle Craig Chapter 10-10

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advise Needed On Computers And Stuff

Most of the time I've mostly been a desktop computer and laptop computer user. I of course own both for personal and radio use.

I've found out the past day or so that the next MARAC Convention may be held in Memphis, TN next July and I'm seriously thinking of going if I can arrange train travel. We have a Board Of Directors Meeting in the next week or so via MIRC Chat to consider the proposal for finance along with new awards and modifications to some current awards and I get to be one of those that decide if we front money for the convention or not. There is train service available to Memphis, the issue may be dates available by the railroad to travel.

This year when I went to Florida for the convention I took my laptop. It was convenient to have but bulky to transport. I am thinking of trying to find a way to have access to email and internet and also be able to run some programs on a smaller device. I would need to be able to run some of the same programs that I would on my desktop. Primmarelly, Thunderbird for email, Firefox or something similar to access the internet and be able to load my county hunting logging program and maybe my 10-10 logging program on the device. I would need to be able to transfer the latest date from my desktop to the device.

I would want something that has Wi-Fi but that I don't have to subscribe to like a phone service ATT, Verizon or similiar. In other words I could go to a hotel or Dunk in Donuts and use their free Wi-Fi. The only other things to consider is that it could use AC power available and be charged for independent use and also be small enough that I could put it in my suitcase rather than have a separate carrying case for it.

So what do I want? I'd want the screen big enough to be easily viewable but not so small I would need a magnifying glass to see it and of course be able to type on it to send messages, or use web pages like the forum here.

Yea, I'm not "up" on other devices much. I see adds for smart phones and things like that but I'm not looking to add a phone line or subscribe to anything like that.

All advice considered to get this "techie novice" into the 21st Century.

Email me off line if necessary

Thanks

Al - N1API
Hi Al
When I travel I bring my Nexus 7 2013 7" android wifi tablet. They are currently available on amazon new for $150 (http://www.amazon.com/Nexus-Google-7-Inc...B00DVFLJDS). I run the latest android OS and have a complete office suite, email, firefox, full messaging like google hangouts, skype etc. It works great and fits in my back pocket or luggage. I have put fldigi on it for playing with digital modes and it supports Hamlog logging software which has data export/import, although I havent used it. I also have ebook software on it, supporting PDF, kindle, and epub. You can carry reference books with you. There are also repeater directory programs for free. There is also a great SW radio streaming app for android called 1 Radio news, which will stream all the major broadcasters. I also have a scanner app on it so I can listen to scanner feeds, police, fire, railroad, ham, etc from all over the world- its great for breaking news.

Sometimes I bring an external bluetooth keyboard for when I get wordy, but mostly I dont need it.

An ipad will do as well, but I find the android platform more versatile. Others will have other opinions. I also have a 11" netbook with Linux mint on it, but you cant beat the tablet for portability and convenience. It can charge on your wall or in your car with standard mini usb.
I agree with KB1JL. For email and just internet stuff a tablet is perfectly useable and much more portable. I have an Asus TF300T that I've used for three years even in business for quick access to emails and the internet. Some have docking stations that make them nearly Laptop like but with much longer battery life. My TF300T runs for about 17 hours, has 100G of memory and 1-usb port. Asus is really bad at customer service!

Alternatively the laptops like the Google Chrome laptop is an alternative. Cheaper than a tablet but bigger too.

Biggest problem with Android is that they update the OS and apps without warning, so you have to be savvy enough to disable updates once you get things working they way you like. Best thing about Andoid is you can find nearly any app you want without having to shell out money as with Apple. Apple best attribute is they make life simple for the end user. In the end it's all what your comfortable with. I've always been a bit of software hack and know a lot about the hardware so I'm an android advocate.

Good luck on the shopping.

KC1AXJ

(08-28-2015, 06:05 AM)N1API Wrote:
Most of the time I've mostly been a desktop computer and laptop computer user. I of course own both for personal and radio use.

I've found out the past day or so that the next MARAC Convention may be held in Memphis, TN next July and I'm seriously thinking of going if I can arrange train travel. We have a Board Of Directors Meeting in the next week or so via MIRC Chat to consider the proposal for finance along with new awards and modifications to some current awards and I get to be one of those that decide if we front money for the convention or not. There is train service available to Memphis, the issue may be dates available by the railroad to travel.

This year when I went to Florida for the convention I took my laptop. It was convenient to have but bulky to transport. I am thinking of trying to find a way to have access to email and internet and also be able to run some programs on a smaller device. I would need to be able to run some of the same programs that I would on my desktop. Primmarelly, Thunderbird for email, Firefox or something similar to access the internet and be able to load my county hunting logging program and maybe my 10-10 logging program on the device. I would need to be able to transfer the latest date from my desktop to the device.

I would want something that has Wi-Fi but that I don't have to subscribe to like a phone service ATT, Verizon or similiar. In other words I could go to a hotel or Dunk in Donuts and use their free Wi-Fi. The only other things to consider is that it could use AC power available and be charged for independent use and also be small enough that I could put it in my suitcase rather than have a separate carrying case for it.

So what do I want? I'd want the screen big enough to be easily viewable but not so small I would need a magnifying glass to see it and of course be able to type on it to send messages, or use web pages like the forum here.

Yea, I'm not "up" on other devices much. I see adds for smart phones and things like that but I'm not looking to add a phone line or subscribe to anything like that.

Thanks
73, Steve - KC1SA
Well thanks for all the replies so far. I've heard about the Android getting the updates and people having some problems with them. People wake up and find that it got updated overnight and things like that. But good information to have. I'm not quite ready yet,, it will all depend on first seeing if I make the trip. No need to buy if I'm not going. But if I do I'll probably want to go someplace and play with it ( Tongue ) before I buy. The device that is.

Considering all responses

Thanks

Al

(08-29-2015, 12:01 PM)KC1AXJ Wrote: I agree with KB1JL. For email and just internet stuff a tablet is perfectly useable and much more portable. I have an Asus TF300T that I've used for three years even in business for quick access to emails and the internet. Some have docking stations that make them nearly Laptop like but with much longer battery life. My TF300T runs for about 17 hours, has 100G of memory and 1-usb port. Asus is really bad at customer service!

Alternatively the laptops like the Google Chrome laptop is an alternative. Cheaper than a tablet but bigger too.

Biggest problem with Android is that they update the OS and apps without warning, so you have to be savvy enough to disable updates once you get things working they way you like. Best thing about Andoid is you can find nearly any app you want without having to shell out money as with Apple. Apple best attribute is they make life simple for the end user. In the end it's all what your comfortable with. I've always been a bit of software hack and know a lot about the hardware so I'm an android advocate.

KC1AXJ

Thanks

Al - N1API
Set up TeamViewer on your home PC. It's fast and free. Get a cheap laptop and use Teamviewer to access the home PC from your remote location. You will be running the home pc 24/7 while you are away.

When you are away using Teamviewer remotely, you'll have full access to your home PC .. all your email, web stuff, etc.

It's the easiest, cheapest, and most secure thing you can do. I've been using it for years.

Point is that anywhere in the world where you can find Wifi, you can access your main home PC with ALL it's programs, browsers, mail programs etc.

A remote install of Teamviewer (being used at your hotel etc.) will run on just about anything. I think you can probably work it with a netbook or a cheaper notebook. The only thing that is going to cost you is the extra money to get a larger screen for your traveling laptop or what-ever. I don't see why you don't use your laptop? I know that works fine. Remember when I was working my home computer from your house using your laptop?

I know you don't want anything too big to carry around. But you also want an easy to see screen. And big screen equals more weight and money. You have everything you need without spending a penny if you use your laptop and Teamviewer.

Oh .. and you can install Teamviewer on your dedicated Ham Radio computer you have and with Teamviewer you can run your ham shack remotely Big Grin

And I have a 10 inch Android tablet ... And yes I have used it with Teamviewer to access my various computer remotely. Although I prefer a real laptop over a tablet .. If you go that route, you're gonna want to get a wireless keyboard and/or mouse.

While I'm here in Ellington I have no problem accessing my wife's computer, my regular computer or my Home Theater Computer remotely. ANYTHING I can do with those computers can be done remotely. I can even have Teamviewer REMOTELY reboot any of those computers from here. I also use it to work on family computers that need repair or tune-ups.

The program is free for non-commercial use.

73, Rich WA1TRY

(08-29-2015, 06:19 PM)N1API Wrote: Well thanks for all the replies so far. I've heard about the Android getting the updates and people having some problems with them. People wake up and find that it got updated overnight and things like that. But good information to have. I'm not quite ready yet,, it will all depend on first seeing if I make the trip. No need to buy if I'm not going. But if I do I'll probably want to go someplace and play with it ( Tongue ) before I buy. The device that is.

Considering all responses

Thanks

Al

(08-29-2015, 12:01 PM)KC1AXJ Wrote: I agree with KB1JL. For email and just internet stuff a tablet is perfectly useable and much more portable. I have an Asus TF300T that I've used for three years even in business for quick access to emails and the internet. Some have docking stations that make them nearly Laptop like but with much longer battery life. My TF300T runs for about 17 hours, has 100G of memory and 1-usb port. Asus is really bad at customer service!

KC1AXJ

Thanks
Rich - WA1TRY