Meriden ARC Web Site | Castle Craig Chapter 10-10

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dayton
I asked on the 10-10 Reflectors if anyone had any reports about Dayton, such as WX, new equipment from the manufactures and such. I expect that we will get all the "official" news from Mel, KD5DE about all the 10-10 business stuff that went on but Bob, K4QHH posted this report about his trip.

------------------------

As for the weather, I checked before I left balmy North Carolina and decided I better bring jeans rather than shorts, but I forgot a jacket. Our illustrious leader suggested I should make a run out to Wally World where they were having a close out sale on jackets, claimed a $9 jacket. Friday was very windy and cold so I decided to stay inside and visit the tailgate area Saturday. Saturday was still cold so I splurged on a $1.25 pair of gloves. Shortly after starting my rounds it started hailing and then it turned to rain. So got to go inside again, after a slice of pizza the sun was out so headed back to the tailgate area. Got quite a bit further before it started to hail again, which inevitably turned to rain. I finally gave up since I had splurged my stash on $10 worth of clothing. I left Sunday morning and the temperature in the truck said it was 39 degrees, but the sun was out and the drive home was without a drop of rain.

On a more serious note, Mel did an awesome job with the 10-10 presentation which unofficially I believe it was attended by about 35 people. Which I am going to steal from him since I have been asked to do a presentation on 10-10 at our local club meeting in August.

After 55 years as a licensed ham, I can now say I have been to Dayton. Been there, done that probably not going back again.

The best part for me was getting to see the other 10-10ers, especially since we will not be having any 10-10 conventions anymore. Maybe the board could hold their annual meeting at different ham conventions each year and hold a informal 10-10 convention in conjunction with the board meeting and convention.

Bob
K4QHH

---------------------
And from N0TW comes this. NOTE THE LAST PARAGRAPH! BE SAFE!

Had a very good time in Dayton. My blood has thinned out now that I live in FL. K5FBS and I walked the Flea Market early Friday morning as we could not get into the Arena until 9 am. No snow or hail - but it sure was cold. Flea market had lots of ham gear for sale. Not so much toys, games, etc for sale as I have seen in years past.

Inside HARA Arena, Opti-beam had a full-sized 2-element 40 meter MOXON on display. Looked like it was very well built. Yaesu had many radios on display and many sales persons there to help you - plus FREE Hats. Flex Radio had a nice display. AES was not there!! The main Arena was packed - felt like a sardine. No one from our group won any prizes to my knowledge.

No malfunctions of the bathroom facilities this time - thank goodness!

I got to see many of my friends from OHIO that I used to belong to K8ES club so getting to see them after 7 years was a treat.

We got lots of attention at the 10-10 booth. Very good location. We always had 1 or 2 people out front of the booth greeting people and asking them to sign our log book. It made a difference talking to folks out front rather than over the table. Mel spent 90% of his time out front and rarely sat down at all.

The BOD meeting went very smoothly and quickly. Motel accomadations were great.

The only BAD thing that happened was someone picked N6OPR's pocket and got his wallet. Besides the cash that he lost, he also lost credit cards, etc. He took a police report to the airport and after a thorough search they let him fly home.

N0TW
N0TW Wrote:The only BAD thing that happened was someone picked N6OPR's pocket and got his wallet. Besides the cash that he lost, he also lost credit cards, etc. He took a police report to the airport and after a thorough search they let him fly home.

I'll reply to my own message on this. When I go to conventions a good distance away from home, I usually take a "travel wallet" with just the essentials", photo ID, necessary credit card(s), medical / dental ID, ATM card, copy of needed Amateur Licenses and cash . I leave all the extra stuff that people carry at home, (including keys if I don't need them). If I drive to a convention such as Boxboro all the extra stuff stays in the glove compartment, the extra set of keys hidden in the car just in case. I can use the remote opener to open the door and trunk if needed. Finally the wallet stays in the hip pocket rather than the back pocket where it is easily picked. Any cash in another hip pocket.

We may trust our fellow ham, but you can never tell what other people are attending our events!

Al
Here are a couple of pictures which were posted to the 10-10 group.

First Photo KD5DE Mel President 10-10, Greg WA3GM

Second photo behind the table Left to Right Dave K6RDK, (my George buddy), Bob N6OPR, Greg WA3GM, Cliff K5FBS

Attached Files Image(s)

(05-19-2014, 03:09 PM)N1API Wrote: Here are a couple of pictures which were posted to the 10-10 group.

First Photo KD5DE Mel President 10-10, Greg WA3GM

Second photo behind the table Left to Right Dave K6RDK, (my George buddy), Bob N6OPR, Greg WA3GM, Cliff K5FBS

I wonder if anyone saw Ten Tec at the show? Got a late report from them about a week ago announcing that they were merging with Alpha (the amp. people) Don't know what the new company is going to be called .. but I heard a rumor that Alpha is building or moving to a new facility near to where Ten Tec is ..
Rich - WA1TRY 
(05-19-2014, 10:22 PM)WA1TRY Wrote: I wonder if anyone saw Ten Tec at the show? Got a late report from them about a week ago announcing that they were merging with Alpha (the amp. people) Don't know what the new company is going to be called .. but I heard a rumor that Alpha is building or moving to a new facility near to where Ten Tec is ..

From the May 15th ARRL Newseletter

Alpha and TEN-TEC to Merge Under RF Concepts Banner

Two major American Amateur Radio manufacturers are joining forces. Alpha Amplifiers and TEN-TEC have announced that they will merge under the RF Concepts brand. The announcement came May 9 in Longmont, Colorado, where RF Concepts and Alpha are headquartered. TEN-TEC, the older of the two concerns, is located in Sevierville, Tennessee. The merger creates a multi-million-dollar company with a product line that extends from QRP transceivers to legal-limit amplifiers. RF Concepts/Alpha Amplifiers has been in business since the early 1970s and has produced more than 13,000 amps. TEN-TEC, founded in 1968 as a maker of transceivers for the QRP community, has expanded its line over the years to include a range of transceivers -- from basic to top-tier -- receivers, tuners, amplifiers, and accessories. While there is a small overlap in the companies' respective product lines, RF Concepts Chairman Michael Seedman, AA6DY, called the union "the perfect combination of Amateur Radio brands."

"For more than 40 years, Alpha Amplifiers and TEN-TEC have shared a reputation in the Amateur Radio market for offering exceptionally well-engineered, American-made products backed by extraordinary customer service," said Seedman. "Alpha Amplifiers is known for 'key-down performance,' and TEN-TEC is known for pushing the boundaries of transceiver performance and capabilities." Such a merger "makes perfect sense," he added, pointing out that the merger will more than double the size of RF Concepts, allowing it "to invest more capital in innovative engineering and customer-driven product development."

Plans call for RF Concepts to share operations between its Colorado and Tennessee locations, and the company is looking for a new operations facility in the Sevierville area that would house manufacturing as well as some engineering resources as well as technical and customer support services. TEN-TEN had announced that it would not be holding its annual hamfest in Tennessee this year, due to plans to relocate its headquarters this fall. TEN-TEC announced "a massive moving sale" during September. The Colorado facility will house engineering resources, technical and customer support services, and much of the front-office operation.

Announcement of the merger came a week before Dayton Hamvention®, where both Alpha and TEN-TEC will continue to operate separate booths. Alpha will be demonstrating its not-yet-released DreamTuner 4040 Automatic Antenna Tuner, while TEN-TEC will unveil the Patriot, an open-source, Arduino-based SSB transceiver.

The two companies are privately held, and terms of the merger were not disclosed. Read more http://www.arrl.org/news/alpha-and-ten-t...pts-banner .

Thanks Al,

That looks like the same announcement that Ten Tec sent directly to me a while back. I've bought a few items new from them over the years and I get announcements and sale notifications from them. I'm really looking to see what they did at Dayton and what they had on display.
- WA1TRY

(05-20-2014, 09:01 AM)N1API Wrote:
(05-19-2014, 10:22 PM)WA1TRY Wrote: I wonder if anyone saw Ten Tec at the show? Got a late report from them about a week ago announcing that they were merging with Alpha (the amp. people) Don't know what the new company is going to be called .. but I heard a rumor that Alpha is building or moving to a new facility near to where Ten Tec is ..

From the May 15th ARRL Newseletter

Alpha and TEN-TEC to Merge Under RF Concepts Banner

Two major American Amateur Radio manufacturers are joining forces. Alpha Amplifiers and TEN-TEC have announced that they will merge under the RF Concepts brand. The announcement came May 9 in Longmont, Colorado, where RF Concepts and Alpha are headquartered. TEN-TEC, the older of the two concerns, is located in Sevierville, Tennessee. The merger creates a multi-million-dollar company with a product line that extends from QRP transceivers to legal-limit amplifiers. RF Concepts/Alpha Amplifiers has been in business since the early 1970s and has produced more than 13,000 amps. TEN-TEC, founded in 1968 as a maker of transceivers for the QRP community, has expanded its line over the years to include a range of transceivers -- from basic to top-tier -- receivers, tuners, amplifiers, and accessories. While there is a small overlap in the companies' respective product lines, RF Concepts Chairman Michael Seedman, AA6DY, called the union "the perfect combination of Amateur Radio brands."

"For more than 40 years, Alpha Amplifiers and TEN-TEC have shared a reputation in the Amateur Radio market for offering exceptionally well-engineered, American-made products backed by extraordinary customer service," said Seedman. "Alpha Amplifiers is known for 'key-down performance,' and TEN-TEC is known for pushing the boundaries of transceiver performance and capabilities." Such a merger "makes perfect sense," he added, pointing out that the merger will more than double the size of RF Concepts, allowing it "to invest more capital in innovative engineering and customer-driven product development."

Plans call for RF Concepts to share operations between its Colorado and Tennessee locations, and the company is looking for a new operations facility in the Sevierville area that would house manufacturing as well as some engineering resources as well as technical and customer support services. TEN-TEN had announced that it would not be holding its annual hamfest in Tennessee this year, due to plans to relocate its headquarters this fall. TEN-TEC announced "a massive moving sale" during September. The Colorado facility will house engineering resources, technical and customer support services, and much of the front-office operation.

Announcement of the merger came a week before Dayton Hamvention®, where both Alpha and TEN-TEC will continue to operate separate booths. Alpha will be demonstrating its not-yet-released DreamTuner 4040 Automatic Antenna Tuner, while TEN-TEC will unveil the Patriot, an open-source, Arduino-based SSB transceiver.

The two companies are privately held, and terms of the merger were not disclosed. Read more http://www.arrl.org/news/alpha-and-ten-t...pts-banner .

Rich - WA1TRY